Monday, March 16, 2015

Let Me Be Your Hero

Type in “I need a hero I'm holding out for a hero” into Google’s search window. A majority of the images you see are either pictures of lyrics or pictures of men in shields and masks. Men. Men in shields, men with masks, bulky strong men ready to yet again save the day. The song I referenced in the first sentence is feeding into the idea of a man swooping in to save the day.
“Where have all the good men gone
And where are all the Gods?
Where's the street-wise Hercules
To fight the rising odds?
Isn't there a white knight upon a fiery steed?
Late at night I toss and I turn
And I dream of what I need
I need a hero, I'm holding out for a hero
'Til the end of the night
He's gotta be strong
And he's gotta be fast
And he's gotta be fresh from the fight.”
            All the third person singular pronouns are he’s. What about us? What about the women? More recently we’ve been getting more exposure in the hero category, but not enough. Certainly not nearly enough to contest with a man. When people close their eyes and think of a savior more often than not they will see a strapping burly man (maybe in spandex, maybe not. The spandex look can be an acquired taste.) They usually don’t see a woman and if they do she’s in heels and the shortest shorts found in the galaxy or has a boob window (i.e. Power Girl). Through media, whether it be movies, TV shows or books, we are getting better representation. Take the Hunger Games trilogy by Suanne Collins. Her main character is a girl doing her best to deal with the cards she has been dealt while under extreme scrutiny and pressure.
            Katniss Everdreen. A provider, a celebrity, a survivor, an object of affection. A hero? A HERO? Is she a hero? Many might think no due to a plethora of reasons. She’s too young, she’s not outspoken, she’s petite, and she is a woman. I believe in that in certain aspects she indeed is a hero. Katniss is a sympathetic character and this character trait in turn makes her relatable. While she has her faults, like every other human does, overall she does what she believes is right. Katniss does what she needs to do to keep the ones she cares about alive and safe, regardless of what she longs for.
If it were up to me, I would try to forget the Hunger Games entirely. Never speak of them.” Katniss Everdeen, pg. 3
Yet she has to relieve it every day for the rest of her life because of the fear she’s instilled in President Snow. After her encounter she realizes that her choices are not limitless. To appease Snow she must adopt a life that is forced upon her or the world as she knows it will cease to exist. To me what she is willing to give up, her freedom to make her own choices, is in itself an instance of her heroism and valor.
“He means there's only one future, if I want to keep those I love alive and stay alive myself. I'll have to marry Peeta." Katniss Everdeen, pg. 44

 Although it isn’t blatant and outright. Katniss is meant to be read as a hero, reluctant or not. I think that people forget to take certain things into account when thinking about Katniss Everdeen. She lost her father whom she was close with at quite a young age, she is a teenager (Need I say more? Please reference My Chemical Romance’s “Teenagers” if need be.), she is the provider in her household and she is extremely poor and living in squalor. Not to mention she’s living in a place that thinks it’s all in good fun to have children fight to the death on television. She deals with all of these adversities the way any person would, but she does not crumble. Most of her behavior should be emulated and probably would be if you were in her position. I believe that Katniss is a role model and a pretty good one at that. Katniss at her core is a hero, a protector. That’s how she ended up in the games. Her motivations are to do all she can for those she believes she can help.

my love animated GIF


-Briana W

1 comment:

  1. Briana. Now this is a blog post! You maintained a clear focus, presented your case for Everdeen as a role model, and also kept the writing engaging and fun. I really enjoyed reading this. You should consider revising/developing it for your portfolio.

    Prof. M

    ReplyDelete