Monday, March 30, 2015

FINALLY!

Finally! For once in my life I am reading a book that has taken place in the same location and time frame I live in; not in some distant future or dystopian world. Rather, the here and now in New Jersey, which is where I happen to be from as well. The Secret Side of Empty, written by Maria E. Andreu, tells of a story about a young high school student, M.T., who happens to be an immigrant living in the United States with her mom, dad, and younger brother.

So far, this novel has been an easy read due to the ability to connect to the characters. For example, M.T. and her best friend Chelsea take trips to New York City, people watch (Andreu 33-34), flirt with boys in fancy cars (12-14), and struggle with the concept of college (10, 35). Having been M.T. and Chelsea’s age once before, I can totally relate to each of those things—it’s actually kind of creepy how alike we are. Everything that has been mentioned in the book, I have done with my friends in some shape or form.

Not only do I relate to the characters in this book, but M.T.’s situation also instills empathy among readers.

While M.T. was discussing with Chelsea their classes for the next school year, Chelsea is baffled as to why M.T. is taking so many advanced classes when she should be ‘livin’ it up.’ M.T. thinks:

“I want to say that this could be my last year I get a formal education. Instead I say, “Don’t worry about me and these classes. We’ll have plenty of fun” (32).”

Later on Chelsea says how lucky M.T. is for being so good at school and M.T. just sits there saying to herself,

I’m lucky, she thinks. I want to laugh but it would come across as mean” (32).

M.T. has finally come to the realization that being undocumented may not turn out well. This may very well be her last chance to get a real education, so she is going to take advantage of it.

 While reading the story I feel myself becoming connected to M.T. and her family and having compassion for them. I think of them all having to share a two bedroom apartment. Her little brother running up and giving her a bear hug when she finally returns home. The horrible association she has with her father (18). Andreu’s ability to stir up emotions in the reader is extraordinary. I feel bad for M.T. because she is such a bright girl and when I read that her father wanted to just lock her up in the house all day, I didn’t really think too fond of him either.  
Up to this point, I think that M.T.’s situation is unfortunate, especially for a girl with so many amazing abilities. I can’t wait to see how this story pans out: Will her and her family get to stay in America? Will they be deported? Will M.T. go to college after she graduates high school? Will she skip college altogether? Stay tuned…


Andreu, Maria E.. The Secret Side of Empty. Philadelphia: RP Teens, 2014. Print.

Nicole S.

No comments:

Post a Comment