Sunday, January 25, 2015

"Feed" First 50 Pages of Uninterested

Starting a book can be one of the most important and crucial items in the whole novel. There should be a way to capture the reader’s attention in his or her own way. Make believe you were there when the action or event was happening or see the event from the characters eyes. The book “Feed” by M.T. Anderson, sadly, doesn’t do that for me. Now, the idea of having a chip in your head that allows you access to the internet, which they call the ‘Feed’, is something that is so interesting to me since I am in the middle of the technology generation and the older generation. It would be easier access to everyone to look up information and be very helpful in certain situations, but it will also be a major distraction for students, drivers, workers, actually I believe it would do more harm them good. But it’s the main character that kind of sets me off. He reminds me of that snotty kid that was given everything by his parents and everything bored him. Even his friends were boring to him. I mean, come on kid, I wish I had stuff like that! I would so use that for like video game cheats and help on research papers. Oh wait, I can do that already on a cell phone, or even on my laptop. So what is the use? Maybe it’s more convenient  and quicker access to resources and not carrying around a phone in your pocket the size of a 4x6 photograph. I can imagine the size of an iPhone during that time being the size of a paper, so maybe the chip isn’t so bad. But then comes the part of security with the people themselves. Now a days there security issues with just cell phones and laptops and still those are just limits. Think what will happen with people’s security with the “feed”?  All the information you remember, search up, and depend on can be accessed by others with a simple hack. That means photos, social security numbers, bank accounts, and everything personal to you can be accessed by another individual who has the skill and knowledge.

 That can be a pain in everyone’s ass, but maybe there’s a good side to all this madness I’m typing now. Or maybe I’m right in the sense that this book is kind of bad so far. Oh did I forget to mention now there’s a love interest? So original!!! Jesus can there be a novel where there isn’t a girl who looks totally hot? Make here ugly and make the guy see her for the good in her heart and not for what’s bulging in his pants. It’s just aggravating seeing this in all young adult books. Anyways, let me get back on track. This book is so far bad in my opinion. Great idea, but maybe you could have had a different concept and beginning. Plus the way the kids talk sounds like my sister talking to her friends. All this slang that I have no clue of what it is just confuses me entirely. My professor had to come up with a translation for the slang and give it to the class! That’s when you know it was unnecessary and unneeded.  I just can’t relate to anyone of them so far and that is what drags, not interest into the book. Maybe further into the book I'll see the difference, but right now it’s a thumbs down. 
-Justin R.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, okay, so I don’t agree with you on the point that the first 50 pages were boring per se. Okay, yes, maybe Titus is a bit of a tool… I might even go so far to say that he’s a toolbox (between that and toolshed) but if you really dig deep and scan the text, you can tell (sort of) that he, along with Link and Marty and Quendy and Calista and Loga, are all spoiled brats.

    Yeah but that’s the only part I disagree with you on.

    As far as the rest of your post, I completely agree. The tech that’s used in Feed is pretty insane, and tbh it’s hard to believe that anything like that could even be possible (although it probably will be when the next Steve Jobs, Steven Hawking Bill Gates is born). It’s ridiculous that the feed practically taps into your thoughts and searches for shit you like or will like.

    WILL LIKE. That means you don’t know you like it yet until the Feed tells you and your like “ohyeah, that’d be sweet *buy buy buy*”.

    But anyway, yeah it also kind of bugged me that violet just had to be this beautiful mystery girl who just shows up out of nowhere and starts a miniature hurricane with her juice in lowgrav.

    And these kids, like, omg their slang is just straight jank. Just….like, I can’t imagine how ratchet they must look saying this stuff. I can’t even.

    -Taylor R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am I reading the irony into the end of your response correctly, Taylor? You appear to be demonstrating that while Justin is complaining about the use of slang in the novel, people your age are really almost as bad. I mean, "ratchet" is a word that isn't used in the novel, but I know that young people use it today. That's where I'm getting this.

      Delete