Monday, January 26, 2015

Sober?


When I first began reading Feed the experience was different from any other book I’ve read because of the voice. When I say the voice, I mean the informality. As I read it really felt as though I was inside the head of a teenager or at least a regular angst ridden teenager. This is in comparison to teenagers like Holden Caulfield and Charlie Kelmeckis. This was accomplished by the author’s frequent use of the word like. We've all come in contact with someone who uses the word like as a filler word and Titus’s did a variation of that. Feed didn’t necessarily interest me immediately or any time after that really. It wasn’t hard to get into the book except for the occasional unfamiliar slang word. I did enjoy the experience of reading it, it was similar to a roller coaster. For example, when you go to Disneyland and you’re on a ride, they do their best to try stimulate a realistic experience. So if you’re supposed to be going into space there is going to be lift off sounds and it’s going to get cold. The way the Anderson did this was by integrating the feed into the book itself like on pg. 15, “…their hit single “Bad Me, Bad You”:
“I like you so bad
 And you like me so bad
 We are so bad.-“
---
“…Hostess M’s American Family Restaurants. Where time seems to stop as you chew.”

I was able to get a sense of what it would be like to have feed inside my head. At the point in the book where the gang got hacked and Titus missed his feed, it made me think back to now. The age of the smart phone. I hear kids all the time say “I feel naked without my phone.” It always elicits furrowed eyebrows from me because that is essentially saying that without the world easily accessible at your fingertips, you feel bare. Titus felt bare without his feed, bare without the noise. The easy, effortless noise.

The lyrics of rock pop goddess P! nk’s Sober ring true here,” I don't wanna be the girl that has to fill the silence. The quiet scares me 'cause it screams the truth.”
 
With one change of the word girl to the word boy, these lyrics fit Titus to a T. He doesn’t want the silence because then he wants to fill it, but he can’t because he’s forgotten how to. That’s the truth he doesn’t want to face. He doesn't want to be sobered up.

 
Briana W. Prompt 1

Anderson, M.T. Feed. Cambridge: Candlewick Press, 2002. Print. 

2 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with you that it feels like we're in Titus' head. Contrary to what you said, I think that the slang was pretty easy to pick up on once you get a hang of it and it gives you more of a sense of how their generation acts/speaks/etc. And there's no trying to make the novel sound like, scholarly or too professional because I think Anderson is trying to make a connection with the readers.
    Also, your relationship of the smartphone to the feed is perfect because it relates our two generations. Now I can definitely connect and see how Titus and his friends were feeling after they were hacked. It DOES feel like I'm naked without my phone. But the funny thing is that I was laughing at these kids in the book who had no idea what to do with themselves when their feed was shut off and were scrambling for things to do and now I see I'm just like them! Whenever I don’t have my phone I fidget with my hands and fingers and don’t even know what to focus on or honestly what to do when boredom strikes.

    Nicole S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that you picked up on how the form of the novel communicates meaning here. I do think that Anderson wants readers to semi-experience what it's like to be hooked up to a Feed. He does this by incorporating Feed posts throughout the novel, as you've noted, but I also think that's why he's chosen Titus as a first person narrator, instead of using an omniscient, third person narrator. The reader actually takes a walk in the shoes of someone who has grown up with this technology and gets to experience it first hand. I also think this is why Anderson keeps his chapters so short, everything has to be constantly moving very quickly, much like the way that we're inundated with information today. But what did you think of Anderson's choice to not paginate the section where Titus is in the hospital recovering from the hack? What might this mean?

    ReplyDelete