Saturday, February 14, 2015

Nothing Lasts Forever

Everything must go, is the reverberating phrase that the young adult novel “Feed” leaves us with. After a long tale of space traveling and emotional distraught we are reminded of the sub theme of the text. Advertisements are everywhere and no matter what situation we are in they will always bombard you with unwanted deals or sales. In this advertisement the phrase “everything must go” is repeated, I asked my self what the deeper meaning of this statement was. This phrase is very symbolic and I believe that the author is trying to express his opinions on the fact that nothing last forever. The phrase everything must go out of context is very similar to saying nothing last forever. The author must have wanted his readers to focus in on this phrase and digest it on our own. That’s what I did, and this idea is easily relatable to the idea that we as humans have gotten to the point where when we don’t want something anymore we just discard it. Although this object might still be useful and have some kind of value to them we just get rid of them. We also see this during our novel when Violet starts to get ill. Her feed is slowly degrading and Titus starts to notice and eventually he just gives up on her fully.

 It’s easily comparison of Violent and a piece of technology, like a phone, to what she really meant to Titus. Throughout the novel we saw the creation of this relationship and its painful degrade. Titus is a prime symbol for what the author doesn’t want the readers to become. We can all relate to Titus’ wants and needs but at some point we have to realize he is not making correct choices.  It’s kind of sad that someone would throw away such a close companion. It just shows that younger generations are more willing to give up on something than rather to work through their troubles. We can even see this today in our society, older couples that have sent decades together are getting more divorces. It seems like people are becoming more selfish as we advance through time.  The world is slowly becoming a very selfish place and this novel expresses these ideas as well.

Our capitalist society has always harbored this idea for people to want the best of the best and to try to reach for the top. It has grown and developed to this idea that nothing last forever. Anything that is considered to be top of the line is quickly replaced by a new product within months. We can also compare this to modern fashion and how often that branch of art chances and develops. Personally I can relate to this in easily, I might not be the most normal shopper but I shop enough to see the flow of fashion. I dont get my hair cut too often and within the time of my next visit I always ask my hair dresser, “What’s the new style?”, and every time I walk out of that place with a different haircut. I also have the same problem with clothing styles. My once a year school shopping spree might not be the best way to keep in style. I also want to try to look new and different but I don’t have the time or effort to go out. If I had technology like the Feed I might become broke within a few days. 

Anyways the real tie in with this young adult novel is the overarching thought about if our society is slowly become like feed? Or maybe it is already like feed? I mean we are an extremely wasteful country, we don’t have much care for the environment and our younger generations are becoming lazier and lazier. When will we see a large social change against these past methods? These are just some of the questions feed raise after you have completed it, pretty good for a novel written or young adults. We all as a society have to realize that we can’t just keep living this way, eventually everything ends and there has to be a change.

~ Richard P.

No comments:

Post a Comment